Metabolic Testing for Weight Loss Edmonton
When we know our bodies specific caloric requirements, we can make sure we feed our bodies exactly what it needs and not more! Understanding our body’s metabolism can help us avoid making the same mistakes over and over – we can avoid eating far more than our body actually needs to function at it’s best and ensure we feed it enough to keep our metabolism functioning at it’s peak! At Ethemba Health and Image, we offer advanced metabolic testing including VO2 and BIA testing to calculate your basal metabolic rate at the end of your weight loss program ensuring that you stay on track for a lifetime of healthy living!. We will test your RMR and BMR (resting and basal metabolic rates), utilizing the tool that that NBC’s “The Biggest Loser” endorses. Knowing your RMR and BMR means you now know exactly how many calories your body needs to consume in order to maintain your current weight, or how many calories you need to reduce to hit your goal weight.
Have you always wondered:
Is my metabolism fast or slow? What is my daily caloric need? How can I maintain my weight loss?
At Ethemba Health and Image Centre, your metabolic rate will be measured. You will be given a detailed print out that is easy to understand helping you maintain your goal weight. You won’t ever have to fear re gaining the weight you have lost! It takes the guess work out of long term success!
Some factors that can increase RMR:
- Higher amount of muscle mass
- Regular exercise
- Hyperactive thyroid
- Epinephrine hormone, released during periods of emotional or physical stress
- Extreme environmental temperature (in cold areas, RMR depends on the body’s ability to insulate from the cold)
- Periods of growth (infancy through adolescence)
- Higher protein intake slightly increases the thermic effect of food (TEF)
- Eating followed by exercise doubles the TEF
- Caffeine and nicotine (although the effect is temporary and neither substance is recommended for use due to their addictive properties)
- Other factors affecting metabolic rate are:
- Body composition (higher body fat = slower metabolism)
- Hypoactive thyroid (low thryroxine level can slow down RMR as much as 30-50%)
- Menstrual cycle can make as much as a 359-calorie difference (the low point is 1 week before ovulation, and the high point just before the onset of menstruation)
- The presence of cortisol, growth hormone and insulin, depending on their interactions in the body
Please Call Ethemba Health and Image at 780-570-5747 for your consultation today